Social distancing is key to protecting staff from COVID-19 and helping to limit the spread of the outbreak overall.
For the sales and service industry, remote working isn’t generally a possibility, so how do you enact social distancing in the workplace?
Here are some tips:
- Increase distance between work-stations,
- Encourage Employees to stay at home if sick,
- Stop handshaking as a greeting,
- Hold meetings via video conferencing or phone call (even within the office),
- Defer large meetings,
- Hold essential meetings outside in the open air if possible,
- Encourage proper hand-washing techniques,
- Promote good sneeze/cough hygiene,
- Provide hand sanitizer for all staff and workers,
- Have staff take lunch at their desks or outside (weather permitting) rather than in the lunch room,
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly,
- Consider opening windows and adjusting air conditioning for more ventilation,
- Limit food handling and sharing of food in the workplace,
- Reconsider non-essential business travel,
- Consider if large gatherings can be rescheduled, staggered or cancelled.
These methods can be used to provide protection to all workers until the situation has stabilized.